The Deception of Lust



“Watch and pray so that you will not enter into temptation. For the spirit is willing, but the body is weak.” - Matthew 26:41



Lust: is a very strong sexual desire

We have many deceptions in this life. However, throughout my experience, I have found out that the most potent is lust. Lust is a very strong sexual desire and the bible tells us to watch out. In the introductory verse in the Book of Matthew, Jesus was talking to the disciples, at this point they were falling asleep because they were tired and Jesus told them this is NOT the time for slumber. WATCH AND PRAY! He wasn't speaking in the context of sex or lust but it can be very much applied. Lust is a beast when its awaken. If I can be transparent for a moment, for the past three weeks I have been lusting over this guy. As we started as friends, we soon engaged in flirting and sexual speech. Lust starts with the non-verbal and if you start to like someone. You will open up that door. At first, I overlooked it. I thought to myself surely a little flirt and laugh here and there wouldn't hurt. It wasn't godly, biblical but it was satisfying to my flesh. The bible is clear in this verse of distinguishing our spirit Man from our flesh. Our flesh isn't logical or rational. 

Let me tell you a secret! It doesn't have to make sense. Many times after getting convicted by God, I spent nights up overthinking and having internal conversations with myself trying to convince myself that it was okay to cut corners. I have been single for a while now and celibate for almost 5 years! Lust doesn't care about any of that. Throughout this time, I veered away from my relationship with God and distanced myself more and more, Until it was painful and hard to open my bible. Galatians 5:16 states So I say walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh."For the flesh craves what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are opposed to each other so that you do not do what you want.

This verse was on my heart all week. God was revealing that he can still use me in the midst of this. What does that mean? He was calling me to spend time with him, getting away with him after a long day. He was still covering me and protecting me. We cannot walk in the flesh and spirit at the same time. Since they are contrary to one another. Another verse that comes to mind is the verse on being double-minded. Lust is not only a sexual desire, a practice that leads to sin but it is a mindset of double-mindedness. When we choose to walk in our flesh, we become our OWN masters. God provides clear instructions between the two. Matthew 6:24 reads "No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and he will love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and he will despise the other. You are not able to serve God and mammon." (BLB).

Here are some types that I have learned on this journey to wholeness and testimony of lust.

1) If someone doesn't respect your boundaries, they DON'T respect YOU!

Be clear in communicating your boundaries and know your triggers. It won't necessarily save you from lust and sexual temptation but it will save you time. Once you cross that fine line of lust, don't expect that person to enforce your boundaries. I was clear in communicating my boundaries but I had already crossed the line. If you have to keep telling someone the same thing they don't respect you. And it's cool, he ain't the one sis!

2) Once you sin, confess your sins to another person. (James 5:16 NIV).

It is imperative and biblical, to confess your sins to another person. Many of us sin and resort to wallowing in shame or self-pity. Instead of that call up your pastor, a trusted friend or accountability partner. An accountability partner is someone whom you confide in and ultimately holds you accountable for your actions.

3) Any relationship that pulls you outside the WILL of God is...
  • Purposeless
  • Toxic
  • Damaging
  • Unworthy of your love
  • Unworthy of pursuit
As always,

Love Nikia

Founder of The Purpose Room


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WELCOME!

Nothing You Go Through Will Be Wasted

Execution is Key: The Time is NOW!