Surviving Senior Year #SeniorSznSeries









Yesterday was a heavy day for me. I wasn't emotional but I had a heart full of gratitude. Yesterday made a week since I moved out of my apartment on campus. I had visited for the weekend of March 13th and I didn't plan that I wouldn't return to complete my senior year. I was home for three and a half weeks. Stripped from physical contact, normal work, and school routine. I miss my own space the most. Some call it selfish but I was living on my own for a year and a half. I used to look out for my self, cooking, pursuing my independence, dining myself. I remember that Thursday, one of my friends asked did I wanna go out. I declined and said I had so much work to do. However, I REGRET that now, since that was the last time I was going to see him.



As people, we don't truly value human interaction until we are deprived of it. Right now, we can hold zoom calls, skype, google hangouts but it is not the same. Nothing compares to the freedom that you have when a friend invites you out. I have noticed my behavior during this time. I am moody throughout time. I find myself going through a range of emotions. Starting happy and positive, them irritable and annoyed. During midday, I just want to crawl back into bed until this is over. This pandemic is HARD! It is hard for everyone but especially us extroverts. I went to Walmart and it was such therapeutic for me. This time truly shows you who you're friends are.



Academically, I am doing well but I just find myself trying to keep my head above water. Some students have written this semester off and mentally checked out. The tricky thing about online classes is that there is no accountability outside of yourself. There is no physical contact and that is TRICKY! This past week, I've been dragging myself out of bed only to check in 30 minutes earlier. Honestly, I have been hard on myself. I have set the same alarms -- I typically would! I would wake at 8 or 9 am. These days I simply don't have the energy! However, the pressures to be successful and perfectionism, led me down the dark road of not doing enough or being productive. This is why I decided to share with you steps on how to take care of yourself during this time.



Let's retire from the idea of being productive every day with unrealistic expectations the truth is that our quarantine routine is NOT the same as our normal routine. Our normal routine would be waking up and showering, brewing our morning coffee, and we're out the door. I miss campus. I miss the shuttle. I miss the GRIND (coffee shop) on campus. I miss my friends. I miss being busy and on the run! It's funny - cause I dreaded most of the tasks. Lol. However, I don't miss the way I was mistreated on campus or discrimination. As a minority, specifically a black woman, was a struggle every day. I had limited resources, limited mentors, and a constant endurance to stomach microaggressions, personal bias. I had a three-month grade appeal! C'mon students were undervalued at UWM. However, I will address this in-depth in a later blog!



Tips for Self-Care:

·   Read or book or listen to your FAV podcast

·   Take a bubble bath

·   Exercise (This is SOO tricky for me, haha).

·   Write/Journal

·   Watch your fav movie/show

·   Take a walk

·   Sit outside

·   Clean

·   Limit social 
Tips for Social Distancing :



·   Facetime a friend (Platforms may vary).

·   Try not to self-isolate, spend time with your family

·   Play games

·   Grab your favorite snacks

·   Conduct weekly-check-ins with friends/family



Love, Nikia



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WELCOME!

Nothing You Go Through Will Be Wasted

Execution is Key: The Time is NOW!