A Great Day in D.C.






Three months ago, I had the opportunity to visit Washington, D.C. I had the opportunity to visit a great city politically and culturally. I traveled there with my colleagues from the Student Association. Every winter semester, the Student Association selects senators to travel to D.C. during the spring semester. I was selected and each of us went down on business. It was a business trip. The issue I addressed was the need to improve student safety on campus and reduce sexual assault across university campuses. I met with WI and IL senators asking for their support.


I spend most of my time on the hill. AS student senators, we had the responsibility of lobbying and being in and out of meeting with legislators. I saw the iconic, the Aunties of all Aunties, the queen of 'Reclaiming My Time", and aka Auntie Maxine. I saw Congresswoman Maxine Waters as I was going through security in Longworth Senate Building.

On a personal note, I was there for ONLY four days. It was an affirming atmosphere. It was a fulfilling experience that I can't help but reminisce. I had high aspirations and expectations for my trip. Before attending UWM, I spent Summer 2017, researching HBCUs and fell in love with Howard University. I had longed for that trip and that experience for 2+ years. I walked with streets with affirmation and with pride. The scenery, the streets, the air tasted different. Its rich and historical history. Let me say, how politically and economically successful it is for black people. It is truly a great place to thrive as black people, whether you are a millennial or not, and regardless of your career.

During my time in D.C, I was there on business and didn't have the opportunity to visit tourist places such as China Town and the white house. I had the opportunity to visit the National Museum of African American History. It was a great experience. I didn't get to explore in-depth since it was rushed and not the right people culturally. And what I mean by that is I would HAVE had a better time my friends and people that looked like me. In part, I shared the same cultural experiences as me. I remember an Uber ride, in particular, I and my friend shared after we went to dinner. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my friend, Amaya, and I met up for dinner spontaneously. After the group, I decided to eat without me lol. Back to the Uber ride, my Uber ride was shared with two beautiful black men, they were successful and affirmed black women in general. During my trip, I I saw twelve black men and they were all FIONE! I'm convinced my future hubby is there.

I plan to attend law school in D.C. My two prospective schools in Howard School of Law  or Georgetown Law School. HUSL is well known for birthing black lawyers and my biggest inspiration. I know that my purpose is bigger than me and it is exciting. As much as I have been through these past few months, I know that there is so much potential I have yet to tap into. I have yet to unleash my greatness. Whether I go to D.C for an internship or law school, I know I will get there someday soon! Hold the vision and trust the process - Xoxo

Love Always,
Nikia


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WELCOME!

Nothing You Go Through Will Be Wasted

Execution is Key: The Time is NOW!