Identity Crisis: Lost and Found





How do you discuss a topic when you are constantly finding yourself? I'm 22. There's so much that I have yet to learn and old habits that I am unlearning. One of the things that millennials or young adults in general tend to struggle with is identity. Your childhood, social or cultural experiences is known to contribute to shaping your identity. My story is a similar one, but I have finally found the strength to be both vulnerable and transparent instead of grappling with emotions and never coming to terms with acknowledging them.

Last year when I first began blogging I talked about my testimony and through that you guys got some insight through into my life.  One of the reasons why I struggled with identity is because I struggled with rejection. When I was in the womb, my birth mother didn't want me. However, she was nice enough to give birth and place me up for adoption. Most adoptees or parents who've went through that process understands how tedious and stressful it is. I was raised in a loving household and had a great childhood. I was the only girl out of 4 brothers --- my foster brothers. They loved me, guided me, teased me. I am so grateful that I wasn't given a childhood that bruised me emotionally, physically, or psychologically. Thus, a childhood that I didn’t have to heal from.

Even after all of this, my life hasn't been perfect. Another event that contributed to my identity was losing broth of my fathers. I lost my dad at five to cancer and my stepdad to a sudden heart attack at the age of 19. I always resented girls with two parent households because I never had that. However, God is healing me. “No longer do I have to continue grappling with identity issues. I have realized when I doubt who I am, I question what God created.” So, what is identity? According to Merriam Webster’s Dictionary, identity “is the distinguishing character of personality of an individual.” When we search for our identity we must look to look our creator and he created us in His Image. In Genesis, this is clearly illustrated "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him, male and female he created him." (Genesis 1:26-28)



1. God created us in His Image.



God created us in his image. Male and female.  (Genesis 1:26-28) Yes, he created you, your parents, and your best friend, there is nobody on this earth that God didn't create. My next point is that he predestined us. This is so beautiful because he had us in his mind when he formed the world and us.


2. God Predestined Us


Predestined: to appoint or ordain before us by an unchangeable purpose (KJV). Essentially, this definition says God had us in mind before we were born. He knew our identity, flaws, failures, and everything about us. He placed an unchangeable purpose in us that we must fulfill, and it cannot be altered. In Romans it states "For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love, he predestined us for adoption through sonship through Christ Jesus according to the purpose of his will." (Ephesians 1:4-5) It is through Christ adopting us, that we are his children. My last point is he CHOSE US! He chose to go to the cross and die for our sins. He wrapped himself in flesh, so we could live in freedom.


3. God choose us!



"Before I formed thee in the belly, I knew thee; before thee camest forth out the womb I sanctified thee a prophet unto the nations." (Jeremiah 1:5) Before Jeremiah was born, God chose him and ordained him a prophet. In the next couple verses, Jeremiah makes up excuses and doubted his calling. After God already put a stamp on it. How many times do we do this daily? With a job? Starting an organization? Writing a book and so on.

God has given me all the tools I need to walk with him on this journey. No daddy issues, trust issues, doubt, or identity issues can keep me from his unfailing love and from fulfilling my purpose. As I mentioned earlier, I have been struggling with this forever. Last night while worshipping, "Pour Me Out" came on by Todd Dulaney and the lyrics just hit me saying "I stepped down from the thrown of my heart, all I am it was yours from the start." Basically, we don't have to search for our identity elsewhere, it can only be found in Christ.



If you have struggled with identity issues o anything I mentioned in this blog. Please email or leave a comment below for prayer. God loves you so much!


Be Encouraged,

XO. Nikia A. Handy

Email: purposeroomministries@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WELCOME!

Nothing You Go Through Will Be Wasted

Execution is Key: The Time is NOW!