The Truth about Millennials and The Church



     "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. - 1 Peter 2:9

 


 The truth about Millennials and the Church is a long debated, thought-provoking, church stirring conversation that has been put off for far too long. Many have asked the questions "What is it gonna take to get the younger generation involved in the church?" "Why has the younger generation left the church or aren't active in the church?" I have done some research and God has to lead me to answer some of these questions .

One of the questions is "Why do millennials struggle with getting actively involved in the church?" When I say involved I mean seeking god so he can reveal your purpose to you and you can benefit the body of Christ. Not just coming to church and clapping your hands. Not shouting but then neglecting to fellowship with your brothers and sisters in Christ. I could name a million reasons why someone may be too busy to get involved or even attend church but ONE is never too busy for God. When we say that, we open the door to excuse why God isn't worth giving our all to. Back in March of this year, I was trying to enrich the young adult ministry at my church. The age group is 18-30. I had this grand presentation that I drafted up immediately. It included monthly bonding events and setting up committees. I had a game plan of what God wanted me to do. However, I'm sure now that it wasn't for my church but for my personal ministry to be birthed out. Although, I shared my ideas with the Bishop and First Lady. The young adults were reluctant to get involved. To say the least the communication was way off.

A couple of months, before birthing out this ministry. I figured I needed a team or a couple resources to get me started. However, God has fully equipped me for this and has revealed to me I don't need a "team" behind me. Instead, he wanted me to hit the ground running and be obedient. One of the things that the young adults struggled with was communication with one another and until we learned how to be in communication with one another, we will be unable to cultivate covenant relationships in Christ. There are so many benefits when you enter the Kingdom, being a daughter or son of God., MY GOD! How good is it to know that he choose us? Whew! But to have covenant relationships in Christ gives you all the reassurance that you need. That you are not alone in Christ. You can have monthly outings, bible studies, emotional support, and a prayer partner!


Nevertheless, I have also learned on this journey of trying to bring the millennial generation together is understanding that when people are comfortable where they are at, it won't move them or attract them. YOU SHOULD NEVER GET TOO COMFORTABLE IN CHRIST, THAT YOU THINK YOU CANNOT BE ELEVATED IN THE KINGDOM OR A BETTER SERVANT TO HIM. For me, I am just set apart and different. I am a natural born leader, extrovert, and visionary. Last fall, we had a purpose series held on our Wednesday Service and it was life-changing for me. It propelled me forward in being excited to discover my purpose. But then I looked around and was like "Am I the only one who felt that"? And asked my myself the question "Why isn't anyone else on fire for Jesus like me. I soon realized everyone is different and your walk isn't the same as mine.  An article from Christianity Today examined why millennials drop out of the church, "About 70 percent of young adults 18 to 22 stopped attending church for a year. It goes on to say that 26 percent said that the people at their church were too judgemental, 20 percent didn't feel connected to the people at their church, 23 percent said work made it impossible to attend church, and 27 percent said they needed a break from church."

 

I wanna talk to my believers now, "How are we recruiting new believers?" Are we making them feel welcome when they come to our church, how do we help them go deeper into the faith by showing them the importance of having an intimate relationship with God? When we are judging them we are showing them away, from the time they walk in our church. As saints, we have to realize that "Jesus doesn't change when our emotions do." We cannot act on our emotions when we are supposed to be doing Kingdom work!!!! Many of those who attend church do not possess a "First-Hand Faith" In which you know God for yourself. And when you don't believe in God for who he is to you, it is easy to slip into double-mindedness.

The article examined three reasons why millenials are falling away from the church:

1. Some people are not involved in the church because they feel useless.

'They may believe that they are not personally qualified to serve in ministry capacity or they might think that the only special "clergy" can truly be involved.

Contrary to popular belief, all are called to ministry. YOUR LIFE IS A MINISTRY AND YOU HAVE A MILLION PROPHESIES ON THE INSIDE OF YOU. Pastors just have a different role, but its a common call." Have we created a class system in the Body of Christ, comprising "the called" and "uncalled"?


  2. Some people are simply hurting.

   This second reason is not complicated at all, some people are just hurting. When I say hurting I'm speaking on all kinds of hurt, hurts of this world, and even dealing with being hurt by someone in the church. The church is a spiritual hospital and we need to embrace them so they can get to a place where they build their faith and walk in the complete fullness of who they are before they serve. So, it isn't that they don't wanna serve, but they are not in a place to. "For those who have been severely wronged, the first priority is to love them."

3. Some people are just lazy.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but some people are just lazy. If they can reap the benefits of other's service and just sit back and be comfortable they will. Many people are okay with coming to church every Sunday and going home. Church leaders and pastors need to start holding people accountable o being a servant in the body of Christ. It should be more complicated. Just as we have to work to keep our relationship with the father, we have to put into work in our churches to help them prosper and let ourselves prosper as we walk into our purpose.


Now that we have discussed the three most common reasons why people are not involved in church. I want to encourage you to evaluate yourself and BE HONEST! Where are you at with being a servant of Christ? And I want to let you know that serving others is what we are supposed to do, it's not the bare minimum! Go out and get involved in your church, community, or volunteer to serve others. The bible says "Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant will also be.  "My father will honor the one who serves me." (John 12:26)

References: "3 Reasons Why People Are Not Involved In The Church" Christianity Today. The Exchange. 13 June 2014.
(https://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2014/june/3-reasons-people-are-not-involved-in-your-church.html)
As always,
Be encouraged, Nikia A. Handy   

For questions or prayer requests

Email: purposeroomministries@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WELCOME!

Nothing You Go Through Will Be Wasted

Execution is Key: The Time is NOW!